Photo from Nextgov

First off, digital identity is how you choose to present yourself as on the internet. 

• This includes everything you post, share, engage with, and comment on (Es, Vanhaecht & Wyatt, 2021). With that being said, this footprint can’t be erased and will always be somewhat searchable and traced. 
  • Therefore, looking at personal and professional approaches to digital identity, it is important to be aware that family, friends, and current and/or future employers will be able to see everything you post, share and comment on. 
  • So whether what you are posting is inspiring, professional or controversial, it is essential to be aware that your social media use is not just seen by you. 
  • Your digital identity doesn’t have to seem scary though, it can bring you major opportunities and online connections with people and different accounts that have the same goals, passions and interests as you (Es et al., 2021). You can also show employers you are someone they want to hire based on your identity you choose to portray online. 
  • Having an online presence is getting more common and an advantage since most consumers and the average person is active online. 

So what does my digital identity look like? 

• At the moment, I have made several different accounts on Instagram, each focusing on a different topic such as music, sports, and tv shows.
  • My intention is to generate feed and ad revenue specific to the topic of each account. 
  • Therefore, each account will assemble networks and personalized information for me and I will be able to easily learn more about my specific interests and interact with other users who have similar hobbies. 
  • Not only do these online spaces provide entertainment, digital leisure is key to constructing a sense of belonging and identity (Spracklen, 2015). 

Advantages to digital identity: 

• You can build a sense of self
  • It is a place to be creative, be your full self and spread endless imagination and passion
  • You can easily connect with others who have similar interests and posts

Disadvantages to digital identity: 

• The digital world can be addicting and I sometimes get sucked into an artificial reality
  • Spending long periods of time on social media makes me unproductive and tired
  • You can never fully delete anything that you post on the internet as it will always be circulating somewhere, exchanged, surveilled, taken out of context, and taken advantage of. 

To learn more about how to keep your digital identity safe, check out these websites!

8 Questions to Ask Before You Push POST - Godly Parent
Photo from GODLYPARENT

Es, G. V., Vanhaecht, J., & Wyatt, M. (2021, February 15). The Future of Digital Identity. What does it mean to you? Retrieved September 16, 2021, from https://www2.deloitte.com/global/en/pages/risk/articles/the-future-of-digital-identity.html.

Spracklen K. (2015) Identity-Making and Social Media. In: Digital Leisure, the Internet and Popular Culture. Leisure Studies in a Global Era. Palgrave Macmillan, London. https://doi.org/10.1057/9781137405876_6.